We get it.
But lots of people throughout the world don’t get it, and wind up dead, molested, jailed, or harassed. To them; speaking out is a rare and prized privilege. To them; it can be a matter of life and death.
That’s why I was so interested this week to learn of a worldwide press freedom organization called the Center For International Media Assistance (CIMA). They are dedicated to empowering independent journalists worldwide.
On their website, you can find stories and links to information such as:
- Journalist Security Guide: Covering The News in A Dangerous and Changing World
- Speak Up, Speak Out: A Toolkit For Journalists Reporting on Human Rights Issues
- Is there a Link Between Media and Good Governance? What The Academics Say
- Radio Reporter Will Spend Burundi’s 50th Anniversary In Jail
- Media Law Reform 2.0 Advancing Press Freedom and Independent Media Around The World
Meanwhile, here are some links to stories covered by other media organizations that also raise freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and human rights issues that illustrate the kinds of challenges faced worldwide by people who are trying to speak their minds, live independently, and shine a spotlight on what they perceive to be injustice.
- UK Journalist Recalls Egypt Sex Assault
- CBS Journalist Brutally Assaulted in Egypt
- Rights Groups Demand Answers After Russian Journalist Is Attacked
- Journalist Who Reported Corruption Attacked in Peru
Find out more: